Fruit? Vegetable? Herb?

Stephen J Bungard sbungard at
Wed Mar 1 04:21:43 EST 1995

In article <9502281356.AA12158 at>
           smeissne at 3B2ADM.MCKENDREE.EDU "scott meissner" writes:

> You ask if a banana is a fruit or a vegetable.
> Fruits all are derived from flowers, vegetables come
> from stems, leaves, or roots (or on occasion flower
> buds!).

This is, of course, perfectly correct scientifically but it seems to me that
there are difficulties in the popular use of these terms eg:

Is rhubarb (petioles) fruit or veg to your average consumer?

How about tomatoes (fruit used as a salad vegetable)?

And many people think of mushrooms as vegetables when they are not even

These views may be a UK-centric.  I would be interested to hear how these
terms are used elsewhere.

Stephen J Bungard      aka  sbungard at       |   DO NOT   |
 If there are opinions in the above, they are mine, all mine..  |THROW STONES|
 .. unless, of course, they are yours...or someone else's...    |  AT THIS   |
            Also available in the North Ebudes.                 |   NOTICE   |