Saint or sinner sowing wild seeds?

jack sanders jfsanders at delphi.com
Wed Mar 1 18:30:00 EST 1995

In article <3iu1s7$j1q at metz.une.edu.au>, mwitchar at metz.une.edu.au (Cat)
writes:

> Whether sowing wild seeds about is good or bad depends on your viewpoint.
> For example, if you subscribe to the idea that what we have now is the way
> nature intended you could reason that sowing wild seed in places where it
> once grew is a no-no. The counter argument here is that where the wild
> population was lost was due to human interference and so it is okay to
> reintroduce them.

Another possible -- though perhaps not popular -- view is this:
plants spread naturally through a variety of techniques, including birds,
wind, water, Velcro-like stickers, and even the mud in a mammal's paw or
bird's claw. Homo sapiens is part of nature -- an odd part, no doubt -- and
its spreading of seeds, while more sophisticated sometimes, is just another
way plants get to move around.

Sometimes this creates problems because the moved plants find their new homes
nicer than their old ones, and they may tend to take over and push out
"natives." However, in the great scheme of things, this is how the world has
worked for eons. Countless species of plants and animals have come and gone,
long before H. sapiens was messing around with them. The fittest were the
survivors.

We humans have speeded up the changing plant landscape considerably -- in many
ways, horribly. But whenever I see a field of ox-eye daisies in June, I can't
help but feel that we don't always screw it up.

I have mixed feelings about this outlook. I wonder what others think of it.

--Jack Sanders, Ridgefield, Conn., jfsanders at delphi.com
   [author of "Hedgemaids and Fairy Candles: The Lives &  Lore
   of North American Wildflowers," Ragged Mountain/McGraw-Hill, 1993]