Black Soybeans

Wayne Parrott wparrott at uga.cc.uga.edu
Thu Mar 2 18:19:19 EST 1995

In article <0423hms-020395140523 at msp81-14.nas.mr.net> 0423hms at InforMNs.k12.MN.US (Jerry Hoikka) writes:
>From: 0423hms at InforMNs.k12.MN.US (Jerry Hoikka)
>Subject: Black Soybeans
>Date: 1 Mar 1995 19:48:34 GMT

>We are looking for information on Black Soybeans for a science fair
>project. Can anyone tell us where to obtain information as to why black
>soybeans are black and why they appear in a normal population of soybeans.
>Any help would be appreciated.

>Dale Redetzke   Hutchinson Middle School, Hutchinson, MN

>--

Sorry-- I accidently posted the reply before I was finished with the answer.
Anyway, as to why you would find a black seed in a field, the book goes on to
say (p 144):

"In most commercial yellow-seeded varieties (I or i^i) dark-colored seeds have
been found.  This has created some concern among farmers and seedsmen even
though the percentage is usually quite low.  It has been shown to be due to a
mutation from I to i^i or i and experience suggests that his mutation rate is
rather high and is higher in some varieties than in others ...."

Good luck on your science fair.