Fruit? Vegetable? Herb?

Coscolluela Eileene ecoscoll at ux4.cso.uiuc.edu
Sun Mar 5 22:42:18 EST 1995

Lester Young (youngl at hort.cri.nz) wrote:
: OK, here's a new, but related quandry;  how would you categorise a fig
: (the bit you eat)?  I read somewhere that it is actually the ovary or
: flower of the plant.  Is this true?  Most people would call it a fruit,
: but it does cook up quite nicely too.

	Actually, a fig is a inflorescence called a syconium.
	The flowers are the little things inside the fig.  The stuff
	(fleshy stuff that you eat) is actually accessory tissue.
	Kind of like a strawberry, in some ways.

	Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Eileene Coscolluela		  |  "All our science, measured against
University of Illinois		  |   reality, is primitive and childlike --
ecoscoll at ux4.cso.uiuc.edu	  |   and yet it is the most precious thing
http://ux4.cso.uiuc.edu/~ecoscoll/|   we have."  --Albert Einstein