METHODS, DEMONSTRATIN

CHARLES HERSEY charles.hersey at xonxoff.com
Fri Mar 3 05:33:00 EST 1995

GB´>         I would like to demonstrate Nitrogen deficeny, Potassium
  ´> deficency, and Potash deficency in soybeans for a class room project.
  ´>
  ´>         I thought the easiest way to demonstrate these plant stresses
  ´> would be to:
  ´>              1) propagate the soybeans in a metromix type media, (low
  ´>                 fertility)
  ´>
  ´>              2) feed the control plants NO3, K, and H2PO4, and
  ´>
  ´>              3) feed the demo pots the same amount of the nutrients supplied
  ´>                 to the control, minus the nutrient I wanted deficent.
  ´>
  ´>         I wondered if there is a better method?  My concern is that
  ´> the soil media may still supply enough nutrients to overcome the
  ´> deficency I'm trying to create.  What would effectively tie up each
  ´> macronutrient and make it unavailable to the plant?
  ´>
  ´>         All methods and comments are welcome!  Thanks!
  ´>
  ´> _kathleen_heldreth_

GB´Try using acid washed sand.  You won't have any problems of contamination
  ´of your experiment with nutrients from the soil.

Also, IMHO, you might try to put up a few types of indicators. Tobacco
leaves are great indicators. Radishes are easy to grow.

Charles

 * 1st 1.12 *