Eucalyptus outside Australia ??

F. Jacot Guillarmod ccfj at hippo.ru.ac.za
Wed Mar 8 12:15:05 EST 1995

In <owenf.21.000C04E1 at gil.ipswichcity.qld.gov.au> owenf at gil.ipswichcity.qld.gov.au (Owen Foley) writes:

>I am researching the ecological impacts of Eucalyptus outside
>Australia. Has anyone got articles or anecdotal information about the
>impacts of Eucalyptus on native flora and fauna. I also am interested in
>which species and what numbers are grown.

Here's something I put together a while back in a different context.  It
may be of some use:

Date:  8 Dec 94 18:53:23 GMT
Newsgroups: bionet.plants
Subject: Re: alien plants

In article <6DEC94.17133761 at shrsys.hslc.org> frdschlib at shrsys.hslc.org writes:

>I'm a high school senior looking for information on the invasion of alien
>plants--in which exotic weeds are more than just a nuisance, they pose a
>major threat to preserves, parks, refuges.

Here's something regional.  It may be available at a local library?
Sorry about the clumsy reference.

Plant Invaders - Beautiful but Dangerous, [A guide to the
identification and control of twenty-six plant invaders of the Province
of the Cape of Good Hope], Ed C.H. Stirton, Department of Nature and
Environmental Conservation of the Cape Provincial Administration, Cape
Town, 1978.  ISBN 0-7984-0092-7.

Chapt 1 - The vegetation of the Cape Province
Chapt 2 - Plant invaders: a threat to the flora of the Cape Province
Chapt 3 - Where did plant invaders come from?
Chapt 4 - Why are plant invaders so successful?
Chapt 5 - Why is the flora of the Cape Province worth saving?
Chapt 6 - Plant invaders:
	  1 Acacia cyclops (rooikrans)
	  2 Acacia longifolia (long-leaved wattle)
	  3 Acacia mearnsii (black wattle)
	  4 Acacia melanoxylon (blackwood)
	  5 Acacia pycnantha (golden wattle)
	  6 Acacia saligna (port jackson)
	  7 Albizia lophantha (stinkbean)
	  8 Eichhornia crassipes (water hyacinth)
	  9 Hakea gibbosa (rock hakea)
	  10 Hakea sericea (silky hakea)
	  11 Hakea suaveolens (sweet hakea)
	  12 Hypericum perforatum (St Johns wort)
	  13 Lantana camara (lantana)
	  14 Leptospermum laevigatum (Australian myrtle)
	  15 Myriophyllum aquaticum (parrots feather)
	  16 Nerium oleander (oleander)
	  17 Nicotiana glauca (wild tobacco)
	  18 Opuntia aurantiaca (jointed cactus)
	  19 Opuntia ficus-indica (prickly pear)
	  20 Opuntia imbricata (imbricate cactus)
	  21 Opuntia rosea (rosea cactus)
	  22 Pinus pinaster (cluster pine)
	  23 Prosopis glandulosa (mesquite)
	  24 Salvinia molesta (kariba weed)
	  25 Sesbania punicea (sesbania)
	  26 Stipa trichotoma (nassella tussock)
Chapt 7 - Control of plant invaders
	  Chemical control
	  Mechanical control
		Ring barking
		Special treatment for hakea
	  Biological control
	  History of the control of plant invaders
Chapt 8 - How you can help in the control of plant invaders
	  Individual action
	  Group action
Chapt 9 - What plants can be used instead of cultivated invaders?
	  Alternative shrubs and trees
	  Alternative sand-binding plants
	  Further information
Acknowledgements
Bibliography
Addresses
Index of common names

And something from the above bibliography:

Fogg, J M 1966: The silent travellers. Brooklyn Gardens Record 22:4-7

Robbins W W 1940: Alien plants growing without cultivation in
California. Bulletin No 637 of the Agricultural Experimental Station of
California University.

  F.F. Jacot Guillarmod     PO  Box 94     \        |     ccfj at hippo.ru.ac.za
  Computing Services     Grahamstown 6140   \      /      Fax: +27 461 25049
  Rhodes University        South Africa      ;___*/     Phone: +27 461 318284
   The views expressed above are not necessarily those of Rhodes University