Saint or sinner sowing wild seeds?

Steven Lyle Noffsinger snoffsin at ag.auburn.edu
Sat Mar 11 00:15:36 EST 1995

Steve,

Don't get your blood pressure up, help is on the way.  I am working on a
Ph.D. in plant breeding/genetics at Auburn University and have a
strong background in Horticulture and Agronomy.  I have also probably taken
every Ecology class which is available here, including a new course
Plant-Animal Interactions (Dr. R.S. Boyd, Botany-Micro., and Dr. J.H.
Cane, Entomology, who is fairly well-known among the bee circles).  We've
had several interesting and related discussions of journal articles
(pollination ecology, seed dispersal, mutualisms, communities and their
interactions, etc.) throughout this quarter (now ending), so I feel as
qualified as anyone to answer your questions.  (Incidentally, the Bozos
who flamed you, obviously have boring lives and nothing better to do
with their time!). ;)

> Is the
> collection of native seed from parkland to re-establish native plants
> elsewhere actually harmful or beneficial.

If the plant is rare or endangered, I would suggest not collecting it,
both from a reproductive and legal point of view.  Of course, if a new
shopping mall or highway (city expansion and development, some real
culprits in the reduction of native flora), by all means, collect a few
seeds.  Most likely, that seed would not end up in a productive spot (and
if it did, it would be sprayed with a jillion pesticides to grow a
picture-perfect landscape).

If the plant is not rare or endangered, by all means, collect some seed.
As mentioned previously by someone, a low percentage of native seed will
make it to maturity.  Let's take some of the numbers used.  If one
plant produces 100 seeds/year and a 20% success rate (sounds a little
high to me, for native flora), it's producing 20 seeds/year.  If you
randomly take 15 seeds from this plant that leaves 85 x .2 = 17 seeds
Remember, the majority of the seeds which you pick, will have the same
odds of finding a suitable native habitat to grow in (if left to nature), as
the total 100.

I assume that you are not taking all of your seed from one plant or area (to
maintain genetic diversity) (I give you a lot more credit than most
folks, especially with your degrees and the extensive search that you've
gone through).  This will ensure that the effect of seed removal is
minimal and should satisfy any die-hard "don't touch the native seedbank" folks.

As for the animals which might miss the seed (another previous message),
they'll get over it.  It's not as if you're harvesting every native seed
(your lawn isn't that big ;)   )  for these species, year after year.
And most likely, the majority of the granivores have other species to
munch on.  In the long run, you will probably increase the available food
sources.

Your efforts are commendable and I wish that more folks would cautiously
proceed in the direction that you are going.  We waste more time and
money on the fertilizers and pesticides in our home lawns and even
roadsides in the U.S., and for what?  A picture perfect lawn that usually
excludes all native flora of a region.  If your efforts are very
successful and other folks are interested, you might give them seed
(I seriously doubt that the entire city will go to native landscapes, at
least overnight).  Good luck!

Steve Noffsinger