measuring pH of roots

Amy J. Harris ajharris at lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu
Tue Mar 14 14:57:58 EST 1995

I am doing research on determining how much plants(grasses) change the pH
of the soil around their roots.  I am currently using a standard pH meter
and probe.  I am curious if anyone else has done anything like this.  I
have read in the literature about microelectrodes but I don't know
anything about them.  The hypothesis is that one grass that I 'm studying
can pump protons to acidify the surrounding soil so as to make it
"easier" to take up minerals such as phosphorous (PO4).  If you have any
information about this topic please send it to my e-mail address.

Thank you,
ajharris at lonestar.utsa.edu