Help! Gardenia buds dying!

Thomas Francis Serwold serwold at uclink2.berkeley.edu
Wed Mar 15 17:56:45 EST 1995

Fellow plant lovers,

	I recently purchased a gardenia to put in my apartment.  It had bright
green leaves and was covered with buds when I bought it.  A couple of the
buds were very large and looked ready to bloom.  After a week, the buds
had not seemed to be getting any larger or blooming but the plant was
generating many new green leaves. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that
the buds were falling off of the plant at the point where the bud meets
the stem.  The plant had decided to kill the buds rather than bloom.
There are still many young buds on the plant which show no signs of
falling off yet.

		Why are the buds dying?  How can I prevent this from
happenning to the other buds?

	Thanks to all who suggest a cause/remedy.

				Tom Serwold
				serwold at uclink2.berkeley.edu