Q: Safe Control of Eurasian Watermilfoil

Jeffery Blaylock AYDZ14C at prodigy.com
Fri Mar 24 00:48:28 EST 1995

  I am seeking information regarding the control of the aquatic plant
known as "Eurasian Watermilfoil".  This plant is not native to North
America and is a very agressive exotic in this area of the south.  The
plant was first discovered here in middle Tennessee in 1989 and has since
spread very rapidly.  The US Army corp of Engineers has experimented with
the aquatic herbicide 2,4-D and is considering the use of mechanical
harvestors in an attempt to control its spread.  The worst affected lake
provides drinking water to over 1 million people, so the use of 2,4-D in
the lake is opposed by many.  The extreme costs of a mechanical
harvesting program and the threat that harvestors may even help spread
the plant to unaffected areas is also a problem.  Anyone, Anywhere that
has dealt with this problem in their area or can offer any information
regarding other safe control measures, bilogical or otherwise, please E-
mail me or post to this group.  Thanks in advance.