Cultivation of Trilliums

Syndallas Baughman sbaughma at uci.edu
Tue Mar 28 23:45:06 EST 1995

In article <D62qvq.LD2 at bridgewater.edu>, L. Michael Hill wrote:

> I am starting over with collections in the next couple of weeks.
> Do any of you have suggestions about how I can successsfully
> overwinter these plants?  They will be in a greenhouse until fall.
> I do not have a cold house to put them into this time.  Instead, I
> thought about putting them into the ground outside of the greenhouse,
> and mulching real good.  I want to leave them in the pots.  Does
> this sound like a good idea?  If I did this in the fall, I would
> still be able to take them out six weeks later if they were in the
> pots.  The area next to the greenhouse if fairly well protected, and
> should not freeze.  Would you agree that this is a good idea?
>
> Or, would it be best to simply leave them in the greenhouse, perhaps
> away from the sun...under a table or something.

   My guess is that putting them in the ground is a good idea.  I brought
some Trillium from Northern California to Irvine.  I left half of them in
a lathe house and the other half I put in a fridge.  The lathe house
Trilliums came up but they definitely don't look good.  My guess is that
they have a cold requirment in order to break dormancy.  Keeping them in
the greenhouse might not do the trick. I doubt they'd survive another
season without some kind of cold treatment.  Bury the pots in holes that
are as deep as the corms are when you dig them up.  Another thing is that
if you wait until the fall to collect plants, when they are going dormant,
digging them up is a lot less tramatic.  You might even get some pretty
flowers the following spring!

I hope this helps.
   syndallas