mel turner mturner at
Thu Mar 30 11:52:04 EST 1995

In article <3ld3v9$lcs at> agpcrv at writes:
>I am making this enquiry for a friend who is farming in a dry region of
>South Africa. His dam is overgrown with Azolla to the extent that the
>entire water surface has been covered. Does anyone have any experience
>with eradicating this water fern?
>Any help would be much appreciated

If it is really Azolla and not Salvinia (better known as a serious  aquatic
pest), the farmer may actually benefit from allowing it to grow, periodically
skimming off the excess and using it as "green manure"--- Azolla has a
symbiotic relationship with nitrogen-fixing cyanobacteria (Anabaena azollae)
and thus can be used to enrich soil.