Controlling A. tumefaciens

Alan McHughen mchughen at duke.usask.ca
Tue May 2 10:13:00 EST 1995

While developing more efficient transformation efficiencies for flax, one
of the parameters we investigated was length of co-culture period (flax
hypocotyls + Agrobacterium *in vitro*). Traditionally, 2-3 days of such
coculture is standard, largely due to the overgrowth of Agrobacterium
observed with longer durations. We noted a better transformation
efficiency in the hypocotyls cocultured for longer periods when the Agro
did NOT overgrow the plant tissue. Because this non-overgrowth was a
relatively rare event, the overall efficiency was low, however.

Dr J-Z Dong, a postdoc in the lab at the time, started culturing the
cocultivated hypocotyl + Agrobacterium on a piece of filter paper overlay
on the culture medium; this dramatically reduced the Agrobacteria
growth, enabling co-culture periods of up to 12 days. We eventually
determined our most efficient co-culture period using this method for
recovery of transgenic plants to be seven days. The use of the filter
paper overlay to control Agrobacteria (and other aspects of this work) is
recorded in Dong and McHughen; Plant Science 88:61-71 (1993).