*HELP* MEDICAL PLANTS NEEDED!!!

David Hemming HEMMING at cabi.msm.cgnet.com
Fri May 26 06:22:47 EST 1995

In article <3pt7io$3bm at stud.Direct.CA>, hchau at Direct.CA (Hao Chau) says:

>Hello! Does anyone know were I can retrieve information on
>plants and how they help in the medical industry?

It might be helpful for you to know what CAB International (a not-for-profit
intergovernmental organization) provides in this area.

CAB ABSTRACTS is widely recognised as the bibliographic database which
provides the most extensive coverage of literature on herbs, spices and
condiments,
essential oil plants, medicinal plants, poisonous plants, and plants showing

insecticidal, fungicidal, antibacterial, antiviral and other biocidal
activities.  The
following aspects are covered:

(a) General:  reviews and notes; ethnobotany and ethnopharmacology;
conservation
and genetic resources; economics, production and marketing; legislation.
(b) Botany:  taxonomy; ecology; responses to environmental factors; plant
development, morphology and anatomy; physiology and biochemistry.
(c) Horticulture:  cultivars, breeding and genetics; propagation and
planting; soils,
fertilizers and nutrition, crop management, crop protection, harvesting and
postharvest
technology.
(d) Chemistry, biotechnology and pharmaceutics:  analysis and extraction;
essential
oil, flavour and fragrance chemistry (including flavour and aroma attributes
of crop
produce, preparation of concretes and absolutes); plant composition.
(e) In vitro metabolite production and biotransformation.
(f) product formulation, composition and quality (including herbal drugs,
botanical
pesticides, cosmetics, and spices and condiments).
(g) Biological activity:  (i) applications in human and veterinary medicine;

pharmacology and toxicology; poisonous plants, poisoning and plant toxins;
(ii)
applications in crop protection; and (iii) activity against plant and animal
pathogens,
pests and disease vectors (including arthropods, bacteria, fungi, molluscs,
plant
nematodes and animal helminths, protozoa, vertebrates and viruses).

All information contained in the database which concerns the abovementioned
groups
of plants and subject areas can be found in a recently launched abstract
journal
entitled Review of Aromatic and Medicinal Plants.  This publication will be
of
interest to people working in the following disciplines: botany and
horticulture,
biotechnology, phytochemistry, perfumery and cosmetics, human and
veterninary
pharmacology, and practitioners of herbal medicine.  The publication
frequency is
bimonthly.  The journal is also available in electronic form on diskette.

For more information, contact CAB INTERNATIONAL, Wallingford, Oxon OX10
8DE, UK (E-mail: cabi at cabi.org) or CAB INTERNATIONAL, 845 North Park
Avenue, Tucson, AZ 85719, USA (E-mail: cabi-nao at cabi.org).