Rose Gall

kunde001 at kunde001 at
Tue Nov 7 10:52:21 EST 1995

On 5 Nov 1995 18:02:32 GMT,
MICHAEL LYNN  <mikeinsu at> wrote:

>My rose garden became infected with rose gall and is there a cure short
>of removing the plants? I live in the San Fernando Valley Area of
>Southern California
The gall you are refering to is most likely Crown Gall caused by the
bacteria, Agrobacterium tumefaciens.  Unfortunately, this bacteria is soil
borne so sanitation is only part of the cure.  To make matters worse,  this
bacteria has the broadest host range of any bacterial pathogen, affecting
over 600 plant species.  The good new is it is one of the most studied
plant diseases so information is relatively easy to come by.  I recommend
starting with "Diseases of Trees and Shrubs" by Sinclair, Lyon and Johnson
for information on this and almost any other woody plant disease.  It is
published by Cornell University Press and is cheap at twice the price.

Stephen Nicholson
Kunde Co. Inc.
2311 Woodbridge
Roseville, MN  55113