Tree of Heaven-Ailanthus

kunde001 at kunde001 at
Wed Nov 8 17:40:22 EST 1995

On 7 Nov 1995 22:25:04 GMT,
roy vandehoek  <hfbio010 at> wrote:

>Is anyone out there working on removing Tree of Heaven within state parks,
>national parks, national forests, or any other types of preserves?  What
>techniques are you using?  What types of habitats are you seeing Ailanthus
>in?  Is anybody seeing Ailanthus in riparian areas?
>Thanks in advance,
>Roy van de Hoek
>hfbio010 at

According to M. Dirr in his "Manual of Woody Landscape Plants", there was
an article published in the Journal of Arboriculture by Peter Feret
relating to the Tree-of-heaven.  While this "weed" grows unrivaled in areas
where concrete is abundant, I have only once found it growing in the woods
and that was out of the cracked foundation of a long abandonded home.
This tree suckers profusely so it is difficult to erradicate by
traditional methods.  I doubt this species can handle competition on good
sites, therefore it may be easier to improve site conditions such that
desireable species can outcompete the Tree-of-heaven.

Good Luck!

Stephen Nicholson
Kunde Co. Inc.
2311 Woodbridge