Tree of Heaven-Ailanthus

kunde001 at maroon.tc.umn.edu kunde001 at maroon.tc.umn.edu
Wed Nov 8 17:40:22 EST 1995

On 7 Nov 1995 22:25:04 GMT,
roy vandehoek  <hfbio010 at csun.edu> wrote:

>Is anyone out there working on removing Tree of Heaven within state parks,
>national parks, national forests, or any other types of preserves?  What
>techniques are you using?  What types of habitats are you seeing Ailanthus
>in?  Is anybody seeing Ailanthus in riparian areas?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Roy van de Hoek
>hfbio010 at huey.csun.edu

According to M. Dirr in his "Manual of Woody Landscape Plants", there was
an article published in the Journal of Arboriculture by Peter Feret
relating to the Tree-of-heaven.  While this "weed" grows unrivaled in areas
where concrete is abundant, I have only once found it growing in the woods
and that was out of the cracked foundation of a long abandonded home.
This tree suckers profusely so it is difficult to erradicate by
traditional methods.  I doubt this species can handle competition on good
sites, therefore it may be easier to improve site conditions such that
desireable species can outcompete the Tree-of-heaven.

Good Luck!

Stephen Nicholson
Kunde Co. Inc.
2311 Woodbridge