large lakes and phytogeography continued

Whitey mackinnw at wildlife.dnr.state.mi.us
Thu Nov 9 15:20:19 EST 1995

In article <47s8vb$9dr at news.news.wmich.edu>, robert.liebermann at wmich.edu
says...

>the first note has an address error.   this is my real address.   again, i am
>interested in plant geography in the boreal areas as affected by
limnoclimate.
>limnoclimate is the meso- and microclimatic modification by large lakes.   my
>present research focuses on islands and shorelines of Baikal and Superior,
but
>i'd like any "clues" on other areas as well.
>thanks,
>rob

You'll probably want "Regional Landscape Ecosystems of Michigan" 1986 by Denny
Albert, Shirley R. Denton and Buton V. Barnes.  Order through the  Burton V.
Barnes,  School of Natural Resources,  University of Michigan  48109-1115.
There is also a three state map and report (Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota)
in press by Dennis Albert of the Michigan Natural Features Inventory, Stevens
T. Mason Building,  P.O. Box 30444, Lansing, MI 48909-7944.  These documents
classify landscape ecoregions that develop under the influence of local
climate and landform (surface geology).

You may also be interested in "Flora and Vegetation of the Apostle Islands
National Lakeshore and Madeline, Island, Ashland and Bayfield Counties,
Wisconsin"  By Emmet J. Judziewicz and Rudy G. Koch published in The Michigan
Botanist  Vol. 32, No. 2, March 1993.  Any other articles by Emmet J.
Judziewicz will also likely be helpfull.  He has done excellent botanical work
around the Great Lakes States.

For Ideas to expand your range into areas with a variety of existing
information, I would expect that Lake Tahoe, California; Lake Titicaca (sp?)
Peru; Lake Victoria, Africa; Great Slave Lake, Canada; and expanding Lake
Superior to the entire Great Lakes Basin.  The Great Lakes have a major
influence over local climate.

Whitey