Tree of Heaven-Ailanthus

Kathy Bilton kathy at fred.net
Fri Nov 10 23:17:29 EST 1995

Re: Ailanthus altissima
<delete>
: southwest and California.  It has a long history of folk use in China as
: an antiamoebic agent.  Professional Chinese practitioners seem to use it
: very rarely...it seems rather to have been a homely remedy...like
<delete>
: Michael Moore (hrbmoore at rt66.com)
: http://www.rt66.com/hrbmoore/HOMEPAGE/HomePage.html
: All the SWSBM teaching and clinical manuals, JPEGs of Medicinal Plant
: photographs and class announcements can be obtained at my web site.

Besides the mention of the plant being used in traditional Chinese
medicine, the Duke/Foster book "Medicinal Plants" (Peterson) says that it
has recently been shown to contain "at least 3 potent anti-malarial
compounds."

And if memory serves me, in the Millspaugh book, "American Medicinal
Plants," it was said that it was the most written about tree in America at
the time of the writing of the book (late 1800's) and I think the book
stated that one of the reasons it was widely planted in cities was that
people felt that it helped to ward off malaria.

Kathy Bilton   kathy at fred.net   http://www.fred.net/kathy/ ......O`-o.......