Methods of identifying grasses (fwd)

Sayed_Ali_Mohamad pbs-sm at wye.ac.uk
Tue Nov 14 09:40:12 EST 1995

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 11:29:28 GMT
From: Dr Ted Peat <SBS_WP at wye.ac.uk>
To: Sayed_Ali_Mohamad <pbs-sm at wye.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Methods of identifying grasses (fwd)

> As I understand it, there are two methods of identifying grasses, by (1)
> picture-booking, or (2) keying it out.
>
> Picture-booking is looking through books for species whose appearance is close
> to the unknown, and then comparing their characters to the unknown's to see if
> their is a matchup.  (This is what I do.)
>
> Keying out a grass is using the keying systems found in most books designed to
> identify grasses or other varities of flora.
>
> I am wondering if anyone uses keys.

Certainly, many people will, but they are much easier to use
when you are familiar with tyheir jargon and once you know the
most common species.

An alternative to the formal, dichotomous key is a multi-access
key. One version of this I have seen (for UK, vegetative
grasses) uses punched cards which list alternative character
states. From each set of 2 (or 3 or 4) cards, you choose the one
that fits your specimen. Repeat this for as many characters as
you like. Holes in the cards correspond with species that fit
each charactetr state. Line up the cards. Any common, vacant
holes shine through: these are candidtae species.

There is shortly becoming avaialble a computer-based version of
this approach. The program, called GrassID, again restricted to
UK species will be available through CLUES, University of Aberdeen,
email clues at aberdeen.ac.uk or www
http://www.clues.abdn.ac.uk:8080/

> Are professional agrostologists capable of examining a grass unknown to them
> (assuming there is such a thing) and, without referencing any books, telling
> which tribe or genus the unknown belongs to?

Of course: this is a prime requirement for a professional, and
not difficult with experience

Ted Peat

  *     W. E. Peat                       *
  *     Wye College,                     *
  *     University of London             *
  *     Wye, Ashford, KENT TN25 5AH, UK  *
  *     phone (01233) 812401             *
  *     fax   (01233) 813140             *