Relational Databases to ID plants

Arthur Schwarz schwarza at gpu4.srv.ualberta.ca
Thu Nov 16 12:02:34 EST 1995

Has anyone out there used relational database systems to identify
plants?  If so, what problems, pitfalls, or difficulties did you
encounter?

Did you find it more efficient than using traditional keys?  Was the
database able to distinguish among very similar (taxonomically close)
species?

Finally, can you supply the reference and how to obtain the relational
database(s) of plants that you have used?

I am considering developing such a system myself and I would like to have
a look at what others have done.

I would appreciate your reply by e-mail.

Art Schwarz
Research Associate
Canadian Circumpolar Institute
University of Alberta