O2, CO2 and trees?

Rod Savidge savidge at unb.ca
Fri Nov 17 13:21:37 EST 1995

Dear Henri,

Your questions are complex, so you must not expect
simple answers!   You might want to look at D. J. Avery (1977) Maximum
photosynthetic rate - a case study in apple.  New Phytol. 78:55-63.  Avery
examined data from other researchers and found widely different rates of
photosynthesis (CO2 fixation).  Differences also exist between species.
Thus, an "average" tree is very difficult to define.  A typical maximum
photosynthetic rate for trees under natural atmospheric and
optimal growth conditions would be about 20 micromoles (nearly 1
milligram) CO2 fixed per square metre of leaf surface per second, for
healthy recently matured leaves (lower for aged leaves).  As CO2 is
being fixed through photosynthesis, CO2 is also being evolved through
respiratory processes; hence, an accurate estimate of photosynthetic rate
is not necessarily an accurate estimate of atmospheric CO2 depletion.

The stoichiometry of photosynthesis has one mole of O2 generated for each
mole of CO2 fixed; however, that does not permit one to conclude that all
of the generated O2 makes it way back to the atmosphere.  Much of that O2
is utilized in metabolism (photorespiration, respiration, other oxidative
processes).  Most of that which does make its way out of the tree probably
is consumed by microbes in the breakdown of soil organic matter.

I haven't exactly given you the hard numbers you were looking for, but I
hope this analysis helps you to imagine the complexity associated with
getting accurate estimates.

Rod Savidge

   Rod Savidge, PhD, Professor      |         E-mail: savidge at unb.ca
   Faculty of Forestry and         \|/
      Environmental Management  \   |   /     Phone:  (506) 453-4919
   University of New Brunswick  _\/ | \/_
   Fredericton, NB CANADA          \|/        Fax:    (506) 453-3538
   E3B 6C2                          |