O2, CO2 and trees?

Henri D Harness cleanusa at ix.netcom.com
Fri Nov 17 11:43:19 EST 1995

In <48bqob$bl0 at mark.ucdavis.edu> ez054530 at ucdavis.edu (Thomas Confal)
writes:

>In article <488msj$fju at ixnews7.ix.netcom.com>, cleanusa at ix.netcom.com
(Henri D Harness ) says:

>>OK, I know trees come in all shapes and sizes, but I'm looking for a
>>fair general answer or a range to the following related questions:
>>
>>1.  How much oxygen does the average tree produce?
>>2.  How much carbon dioxide does the average tree produce?
>>
>>The sad fact is, I've read these numbers somewhere, but for the life
>>of me, I don't recall.  I'd much appreciate answers and, if possible,
>>sources.  It's become one of those questions that incessantly pesters
>>the mind.
>>

>I'm not sure you will find an exact answer for all trees. The amount
>of production depends on severl things: The type of tree (pine vs
>broad leaf), the amount of stomatas present, the amount of light the
>leaves are recieving for photosynthasis, if the tree is growing with
>out stress for best growth, etc. If  you do find a number, see if its
>for a given set of paramiters.

    The numbers I remember reading applied to broadleaf/deciduous
trees and there was reference to an average period of sunlight.
Regardless, any figures on O2 production/CO2 consumption would
be appreciated.  I thought that, if nothing else, I would find
such figures for an oak or a maple, but my search for answers
has been bootless to date.
    I asked some friends and acquaintances in related fields --
including a forester -- almost all said that they had read some
such relevant figures somewhere, that the numbers were probably
there in their offices, but that they were darned if they could
find them.
    And that's just it.  I was sure I had a paper in my office
that compared O2 production/CO2 consumption estimates of different
trees and that _approximated_ the global O2 production/CO2 consumption
of trees, but I can't find it.  And now that any real need for an
answer has long passed, I'm still searching for answers, wondering
where the blip I read such figures or if I dreamed I read it.