Spider mite infested palms

James Yorton jjy at xnet.com
Thu Nov 16 22:37:31 EST 1995

In bionet.plants Nick.Dondo at mail.utexas.edu (Nicolas F. Arredondo) writes:
: I've got an areca palm and a king palm that are both
: infested with (what I believe to be) spider mites.
: I've been told by others that I should just write the
: plants off, as these are particularly nasty pests.
:
: Is there anything that I can do to try to save them?
: The king palm is pretty well covered, but the areca
: still seems relatively free of the buggers.  I've
: separated them, but it may be too late.
:
: If anyone knows of anything that they've used successfully
: I would greatly appreciate the advice. Please email.
:
: Thanks,
:
: Nick

I've successfully used Schultz-Instant Insect Spray for Houseplants.
It's in a pump spray, yellow and red bottle.

I too lost an Areca, because I got to it too late, but saved my
Date Palm.  I *now* periodically spray them whenever I get new plants.
It also kills other insects and works on other types of plants.

Spray them both, including the undersides.  Repeat the process several
times if necessary.  You may lose if you're too late, but give it a try.

Check your other plants and spray them too (if they are of the type that
can be sprayed.).

Good luck.

---
Jim Yorton