Hedge Apples (Osage Oranges)

stephen fitzgerald stephenf at netspace.net.au
Sat Nov 18 08:37:41 EST 1995

I hate to be a stick in the mud but I've been told that Osage Oranges
have some sort of carcinogens in them and they shouldn't be handled. I
was told this years ago when I used to be a gardener at Melbourne Botanic
Gardens (Aust.) so I'm not sure if it is some kind of myth or what -
anyway I stopped using them as cricket balls.
I have also been told (you probably think I'm gullible right?) that the
wood of Maclura pomifera (Osage) was extracted to get 'pyric acid' (?)
for explosives in "the war" (?).
Interesting stuff! It is certainly great wood for carving.

Steve