PASSIFLORA INFORMATION AGAIN!!

Phil Schappert philjs at yorku.ca
Mon Nov 20 07:28:31 EST 1995

jbiro at uoguelph.ca (Juli S Biro) wrote:
>through e-mail.  There is one more thing however, I have recently found
>out that I will be doing research on PASSIFLORA BIFLORA.  Interestingly
>enough, I haven't found any information on this particular species!!  If
>anybody has information on this exact species, it would be much
>appreciated if you would pass it on to me.  Like I said, I've been very

Hi Julie,

This is taken directly from pp. 64 of Vanderplank's "Passion Flowers" (MIT Press,
1991, ISBN 0-262-22043-1):
Passiflora biflora Lam.

Subgenus Plectostemma, Section Decaloba, Synonyms P. brighami, P. lunata (Smith). P.
spathulata, P. transversa

P. bioflora is very widely distributed throughout Central America from Mexico to
Venezuela and also in the Bahamas, and is found wild from sea-level to 1500 metres
(4900 feet). It belongs to the largest subgenus in Passiflora, with 140 species, and
is typical of its section. The first illustration was published in 1728 and was
based on a plant growing in the Physic Garden, London, which had been grown from
seed obtained in Mexico.
This species is very variable, especially in the size and shape of leaf, depending
mainly on where the plant was collected. In spite of this it has not been subdivided
into varieties but is considered to have many 'races'. It is easily confused with P.
vespertilio, P. punctata and P. candollei. The plants are vigorous and
free-flowering from June to August in Britain, but seldom set fruit if grown in a
greenhouse. They are more suitable for the large tropical garden or keen collector.
Local names include camacarlata in Central America, guate-guate in Panama, parche in
Venezuela and ala de murcielago in El Salvador.

Vine: vigorous and spreading. Stem: deeply grooved and five-angular. Stipules:
variable, mostly linear-subulate, 1.5-3 mm (1/15-1/8 in.) long. Petiole: 5-30 mm
(1/5 - 1 1/5 in.) long. Petiole glands: absent. Leaves: 2-lobed, occasionally
3-lobed, very variable up to 25mm (1 in.) wide. Peduncles: in pairs, 10-20 mm (2/5 -
4/5 in.) long. Bracts: setaceous, 2 mm (1/12 in.) Flowers: in pairs, white, 25-30 mm
(1 - 1 1/5 in.) wide. Sepals: white, 8-12 mm (1/3 - 1/2 in.) long, 5-8 mm (1/5 - 1/3
in.) wide. Petals: white or yellowish white, 8 mm (1/3 in.) long, 5 mm (1/5 in.)
wide. Corona filaments: in 2 series. Outer 8 mm (1/3 in.) long, yellow. Inner 5 mm
(1/5 in.) long, dirty mauve or yellow. Fruit: globose, 10-20 mm (2/5 - 4/5 in.) in
diameter. Propogation: seed or cuttings.

The plant that I have has much larger leaves (up to 65 mm (2 1/2 in.) wide).

Hope this helps...

--
Phil Schappert
Biology, York University, Toronto