Spider mite infested palms

James Yorton jjy at xnet.com
Wed Nov 22 14:08:02 EST 1995

In bionet.plants Theo.Baert at ping.be (Theo Baert) writes:
: jjy at xnet.com (James Yorton) wrote:
:
: >In bionet.plants Nick.Dondo at mail.utexas.edu (Nicolas F. Arredondo) writes:
: >: I've got an areca palm and a king palm that are both
: >: infested with (what I believe to be) spider mites.
: >: Is there anything that I can do to try to save them?
: ---------------
: >I've successfully used Schultz-Instant Insect Spray for Houseplants.
: >It's in a pump spray, yellow and red bottle.
: --------------
: Spider mites are not insects. You can better use a special acaricide.
: Your plants are ornamental, so you can use systemic products, absorbed
: by the plant without harm for it. The spider feeding on the plant will
: be killed. You can find a lot of different commercial products.
: Be carefull, systemic products often are poisonous.

Thanks for the info.  But just for the record, the Schultz bottle
says it kills spider mites, gnats, mealy bugs, etc. and a host of
other pests associated with houseplants.  I can attest to the fact
that I rid my palms of pests using Schultz.

I also use a systemic as preventative.  Systemics want you to water
(drench) your plants' soil at the time of application to get the roots
to absorb the poison.  But if you just watered your plants you may
have to wait until the next watering cycle or risk overwatering your
plants.

However, I will keep your suggestion in mind if I find my plants infested
again.  Thanks.

---
Jim Yorton
jjy at xnet.com