Genetics question from a Layman

michael at news.epix.net michael at news.epix.net
Sat Nov 25 19:12:36 EST 1995

If this isn't the proper group for this question, please let me know.

I know that an F1 hybrid of most plants generally has a greater
productivity and vigor than the two parent plants.  After several
generatons, this effect is lost.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

If the seed after a number of generations were raised in different
locations (different soils,climate,etc.), would these environmental
differences mutate them into separate plant types again, so that they
could again be hybridized ot regain the F1 effect.

Reply by email would be greatly appreciated.  And thanks.

Mike P.