Tree of Heaven-Ailanthus

Stephen Chalmers chuckc at albury.net.au
Wed Nov 29 08:39:39 EST 1995

r5m at aol.com (R5M) wrote:

>In article <71331.kunde001 at maroon.tc.umn.edu>,
>"kunde001 at maroon.tc.umn.edu" <kunde001 at maroon.tc.umn.edu> writes:

>>While this "weed" grows unrivaled in areas
>>where concrete is abundant, I have only once found it growing in the
>woods
>>and that was out of the cracked foundation of a long abandonded home.

>Hmmm, you know, I had not even thought about this.  Here in N. California
>it is known as the Chinese Tree of Heaven because everywhere there is,was
>a Chinese settlement this tree can be found. So, in the delta, in San
>Francisco, and in the Gold Country this tree can be seen all along the
>highways.  But now that you mention it, when getting back into the
>indigenous growth, there is no Tree of Heaven.  It does seem to live
>everywhere dosn't it.  After all, it is the Tree that Grows in Brooklyn,
>now isn't it.

>Becky, R5M at aol.com
Well I wish the bloody thing wouldn't grow here! It's a real nuisance.
The worst infestation I've seen around here covered about 300 square
metres, and was impenetrable. It was sited on the top of a hill, on a
farm.
Its a declared noxious weed in this part of the world, and can be
found in every situation, from urban to rural.
Stephen Chalmers         |"Bother!" said Pooh as he realised
Lavington NSW            |that his leg cutter had failed to
Australia                |lure the cunning Piglet into a
chuckc at albury.net.au     |false stroke.