More on the Spider Plant

Cpurvis cpurvis at merlin.nando.net
Mon Oct 2 16:30:35 EST 1995

When watering a plant, don't plant when you are going to water the
plant.  Instead, water when it is needed.  This works for almost all (if
not all) plants.  To determine if the plant needs watering, *feel* of the
soil surface.  If it is dry or warm, your plant needs watering.  If it is
moist or cool, your plant does not need watering.  This works because the
surface of the soil dries out before the rest.  If you decide your plant
needs water, pour it some until it runs out the bottom of the pot.  (this
is why you need drainage holes)  When the soil dries, it  pulls away from
the edges of the pot.  So, when some people think that they have
"drowned" a plant because water runs right out the bottom of the pot,
they really haven't watered it at all because the water has actually ran
down the crack along the edge of the pot.  In a few minutes, come back
and water again, after the soil has had time to expand and close up the
space around the pot.  This time, water until the soil can hold no more
water, and water pours out the bottom of the pot. (another good reason
for drainage holes) This water running out
of the bottom of the pot will take with it some soluble salts (SS) that
could damage your root system if allowed to build up.  These soluble
salts can come from fertilizer or from minerals in your water.  Also,
when watering, try not to get the leaves of the plant wet, because this
can promote disease.  Tepid, or room temperature water is best for
watering plants, because the chlorophyll of some plants, such as the African
violet [_Saintpaulia_X_ionantha_] or Gloxinia [_Sinningia_speciosa_] will
die if the water is cold and comes into contact with the leaves.

Also, about the "ivyish" plant for low light conditions, the following
plants may do the trick for you:

_Epipremnum aureum_			Devil's Ivy or Golden Pothos
_Ficus pumila_				Creeping Fig
_Philodendron scandens 'Oxycardium'_	Heartleaf Philodendron
_Plectranthus australis_		Swedish Ivy

I hope all of this help and that your spider plant gets "fixed."

;)