Help! Meaning of "cv"

Wayne Parrott wparrott at
Wed Oct 4 17:07:05 EST 1995

In article <DFxBsE.tKo at> dahleen at (Lynn S Dahleen) writes:
>From: dahleen at (Lynn S Dahleen)
>Subject: Re: Help! Meaning of "cv"
>Date: Wed, 4 Oct 1995 12:24:13 GMT

>Joao Miranda (jmiranda) wrote:

>: I need to know what is the meaning of the abbreviation "cv" on following
>: sentence:

>:       - Samples of 16 species and cv of pineapples were analysed for
>:       bromelain activity.

>The cv above probably means "cultivar", which are unique genotypes bred
>by plant breeders for specific traits.

Let's also get rid of the idea that cultivars are unique genotypes.
While some cultivars are unique genotypes (i.e., asexually progated cultivars,
hybrids, and self-pollinated cultivars derived from a single, homozygous
seed), the rest would not be.  This includes cultivars of cross-pollinated,
seed derived crops, and cultivars consisting of blends or mixtures of
self-pollinated crops (including early-generation composites).

A simple definition for a cultivar is from Fehr's Principles of Cultivar
Development.  It states that

"Variety:  Subdivision of species for taxonomic classification.  Used
interchangeably genetically with the term cultivar to denote a group of
individuals that are distinct genetically from other groups of individuals in
the species."

Thus, the individuals in a cultivar are expected to have a distinguishing
genetic characteristic in common, but other than that, need not be of the same

Finally, there is nothing to say that a cultivar must be the result of a
breeding program.  Land races, ecotypes (whatever may be the difference
between these two terms), and even individual genotypes collected from the
wild have at various times been released as cultivars.