Sugar Plant...

Gwenne F Lally scicomm at
Mon Oct 9 11:22:52 EST 1995

In article <atahualpa-0710952147490001 at>,
atahualpa at wrote:

>The guide ... told us ... if you ate three or four then whatever you ate for
> the next hour would be affected by the sugar and taste sweet.

I'm unfamilar with the plant but not with the phenomenon, which I do not
think is due to sugar content. Artichokes have the same effect. For a
while after you've eaten one, even water will taste "sweet".

Does anyone know what accounts for this, and whether there is a potential
commercial application?

-- Gwenne Lally
scicomm at