What the heck is "Awapuhi"?

Edward K. Gilding egilding at lava.net
Sun Oct 8 19:56:27 EST 1995

In article <457mpb$5c7 at news.tamu.edu>, sfj3212 at tam2000.tamu.edu says...

>[ Article crossposted from misc.health.alternative ]
>[ Author was Sarah Fox Jahn ]
>[ Posted on 8 Oct 1995 04:39:51 GMT ]
>
>Hi all...
>
>I am just curious what Awapuhi is. I recently bought a multi-
>purpose conditioner with this in it, and was wondering if anyone
>on here might be able to tell me a bit about it :)
>
>Couldn't find it in any plant books or dictionaries here in my
>apt.
>
>If this is the wrong group, just push me in the right direction :)
>
>Thanks for any info!
>Sarah Fox Jahn

Awapuhi is a Hawaiian word (I live in Hawaii) for the shampoo and related
gingers.  Although they aren't native to Hawaii(possibly brought by the
polynesian settlers?), Hawaiian names were given to a lot of plants.

Shampoo gingers are called just that because the bracts of the flowering
stalk exude a soapy liquid that in theory could be used for shampoo.  I
dont know of any solid scientific proof that it helps hair but its known
to be soapy.

Awapuhi, when pronounced in correct Hawaiian fashion is
"AH-VAH-POO-HE"(with a short e at the end)  W's always are pronounced as
a V.

Shampoo ginger is related to tumeric, ginger, and cardamom.

PS - the manufacturer probably added it to make it sound exotic. Not
sure, maybe fragrance too as this family has a generally strong distinct
fragrance.

Sincerely
egilding at lava.net