clematis from seeds?

Jon Reny jreny at libby.org
Wed Oct 18 00:14:03 EST 1995

I have watched my native clematis (C. columbiana) grow from
a two foot vine to 15 ft tall and 10 ft wide over four
seasons.  Each fall it produces similar type seed (furry,
fuzzy seeds) and it produces them in abundance!!  But none
germinate.  I have taken some and tried to germinate them
in a flower bed with a good soil.  No luck.  Anymore I do
not really care.  If I want to transplant some I simply cut
off a 4 to 8 foot length of the vine and plant most of it.

So, to answer your question - NO, I haven't had any luck.