salt resistant plant

Whitey mackinnw at
Tue Oct 24 08:54:08 EST 1995

In article <46ep4e$iqt at>, pbs at says...
>I'm looking for info (for my grandfather) on a salt resistant plant that
>he thinks is called either salicornea or salicardon. (The old boy is
>getting on...)
Salicornia or glassworts are common components of salt marshes throughout
temperate and tropical world.  There is also one species found on saline soils
in west-central North America (roughly, northern short grass prairie regions).
 The plants are very fleshy and make a nice salty-pickely nibble or salad
garnish.  I suspect that you would find more info in Stalking the Wild
Asparagus or Stalking the Blue Eyed Scallop.