Trees Conservation Information Service

Charlotte Jenkins charliej at wcmc.org.uk
Mon Sep 4 09:37:50 EST 1995

The World Conservation Monitoring Centre (WCMC) and the IUCN Species
Survival Commission are developing a new TREE CONSERVATION INFORMATION
SERVICE as part of a three-year project funded by the government of the
Netherlands. The service will provide information on distribution,
conservation status, local uses and economic values of tree species
worldwide to help in the planning of sustainable forest management and
tree conservation.

The WCMC Plants Database BG-BASE currently holds 90,000 plant name
records, of which over 10,000 are trees. We are reviewing these data as
a basis for developing the new service. At the same time views and
information about existing tree, timber and forestry databases and
electronic data sets are being sought. We would like to hear from
potential users of the service and anyone in the postion to supply us
with the details of other relevant databases. If you feel you can
assist us or provide helpful comment, or if you would like to hear more
about this initiative please send a message containing the line:
"Request Questionnaire" to request at wcmc.org.uk

--
Charlotte Jenkins
Plants Data Management Officer, WCMC