Plants and Pb

Ben Levin benjinsl at astro.ocis.temple.edu
Sun Sep 3 21:27:01 EST 1995

 There was an article in The Wall Street Journal about two weeks ago (I
think there was also an article in Science as well) about what is now
called "phytoremediation",  or the use of plants ("phyto"-plant from
latin,  I believe) to remedy.  In this case they are used to remedy soils
contaminated with extremely toxic/radioactive heavy metals.
 The plants used in the case mentioned in the article were some species of
the mustard family (Brassica ssp.).
 I also know that some water treatment plants use water hyacinth to
"clean" sewage water.

Ben