Help: stigma type and pollen number

Scott Russell 70671.2731 at compuserve.com
Wed Sep 6 09:18:37 EST 1995

In article <Pine.3.89.9508301242.B38790-0100000 at is.dal.ca>,
   pli at IS.DAL.CA (Ping Li) wrote:
>Hi, could you please help me if you have any information on
>1. How to identify whether the type of a flower stigma is dry or wet?

The stigma type is determined by literally whether the stigma is wet (secretes
liquid) or is not wet in appearance at receptivity.  This can be done using a
dissecting microscope.  Receptivity is another question.  Usually, it is
easy...
when the flower is open.  In some plants, receptivity of the female may not
coincide with the entire time the flower is open, or the flower may be
cleistogamous and not open at all.  One easy test for receptivity is to test
for peroxidase activity.  A product for this is a test paper known as
PEROXTESMO KO paper, which last I checked was produced in Germany by
Macherery-Nagel.  It is available in the US from Gallard-Schlesinger
Industries, Inc.
At least, it was the last time I checked.  Snail mail: 584 Mineola Ave,
Carle Place, NY  11514   ph: (516) 333-5600  FAX (516) 333-5628
The only reason I mention this is that I don't know anyone else who carries
it in North America.

>2. How to measure the amount or number of pollen grains produced in one
>flower?

The simplest is just to perform a wetmount squash on several anthers.
Probably chosing anthers from different flowers will be more useful than
say for example sampling each anther and reducing your flower or population
counts.  The more plants/populations chosen, the more representative the
data are on the wild condition--if this is what you are interested in.
All that is needed is a compound microscope, slide and cover slip and a
medium to mount it in--water is okay (evaporates quickly though), glycerol
doesn't evaporate and then some more permanent water-miscible resins can
be used if permanence is an issue.  Hope this helps.