square tomatoes??

Alan K arkrause at amherst.edu
Sat Sep 16 19:43:33 EST 1995

In article <scupin.811145886 at rintintin.Colorado.EDU>,
scupin at rintintin.Colorado.EDU (Know One) wrote:

> Has anyone heard of genetically engineered square tomatoes?
> My friend told me they were developed because they shipped better
> than the normal ones, but the public freaked out about them and they
> didn't sell.
The "square" tomato is still being grown, and yes, it was developed for
shipping/packing purposes. The public didn't "freak out" because these
were/are rarely made available to the general public. They are being grown
and shipped to companies like Hienz and Hunts. (Your next burger may have
ketchup made from square toms).

--
_/_/_/_/  Alan K  _/_/_/_/  arkrause at amherst.edu  _/_/_/_/_/