Coast Redwood Sequoia Sempervirens

TGray tgray at aol.com
Tue Sep 19 01:26:37 EST 1995

Talk to curators at your local botanical gardens.  They may have tried to
grow redwoods.

The climate where redwoods grow is governed by the influence of the
Pacific Ocean, particularly the Alaskan current that travels down the
coast, cooling the moist air crossing over the Pacific.  This creates not
just fog, but unique air currents.  Redwoods appear to thrive on this fog;
I have even heard that there is a particular isotope of water needed by
redwoods which they get from condensation on their needles.  I suspect
that British fog, created by warm water encountering cooler latitudes,
would not recreate the kind of fog we have here.  But good luck!