Box Elder

Bart Frechem rsrbsf at rohmhaas.com
Mon Sep 18 08:42:32 EST 1995

This may sound off-the-wall, but I have a question about altering the
sex of plants, specifically the box elder.   The issue is that my
female box elders are being attacked by the box elder beetle, and
my understanding is that they are attracted only to the female plants
(sap).  I vaguely recall hearing that the sex of some trees can be
altered.  My question is if I can protect my box elders by changing
their sex to male.

Is this question crazy?  Is it possible?  Are there other ways to
get rid of these pests?

Any help would be appreciated.