watermelons

mchili at aix1.uottawa.ca mchili at aix1.uottawa.ca
Fri Sep 22 20:46:59 EST 1995

Michael L Roginsky (d_micro at ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: Can any one provide a method to determine if the watermelon
: on the vine is ripe? I know that melons are picked for best
: freshness at the "half-slip" meaning the melon has begun detachment
: from its mother vine. Thanks.....d_micro at ix.netcom.com

I don't know if this will help, but you can tell if a watermelon is just
right for eating in the store by tapping it with a flat open palm.  If
the melon sounds hollow, its perfect.  If the melon sounds solid, its
beyond its prime.  I have no idea if this would work while the melon is
on the vine.

Mike.