sick tamarillo

Mark Hodgson mhodgson at acs.bu.edu
Sun Sep 24 23:01:09 EST 1995

If someone out there could give me some advice, or refer me to a
more appropriate e-mail address, I would be grateful.  I have had
a potted "tree tomato" plant (tamarillo) for over ten years in my
study at home.  I have been told that in this climate (Boston,
Massachusetts), it will never bear fruit, but it has kept up its
foliage all of this time.  Recently, however, extremely small
white-winged moths (or flies?) are taking up residence on the
leaves, and the leaves seem to be dying in response, their stems
withering where they are joined to the main stem or trunk.
Spraying the plant with a common household melathione preparation,
which has worked extremely well in the past for other plants and
other bugs, seems to have been a mistake and I discontinued
that after only one treatment.

Thanks in advance for any possible advice or referrals!