Info on horseradish?

Dr Johan Burger jburger at foodtek.csir.co.za
Tue Sep 26 14:39:04 EST 1995

Dear Plantnetters

I am looking for an expert on horseradish genetics.  Does anyone have
information on horseradish breeding?  From what I can gather, two commercial
spp. are being used, viz. Armoracia rusticana and A. lapathifolia.  Also, two
"types" are being mentioned, the "common" type and the "bohemian" type.  These
two types apparently have different leaf morphologies?  Are they
representative of the two species?  Are there any other species, and if so are
they being used in commercial breeding?  What I am really getting at is, what
is the genetic diversity in cultivated horseradish?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Johan Burger