mycorrhizae

TGray tgray at aol.com
Tue Sep 26 09:40:58 EST 1995

An "organic" gardener friend used to keep birds from digging up and eating
corn seed by mixing the seed with a few drops of oil and shaking it in a
can to get oil on every seed.  Birds wouldn't touch it, and the corn
germinated fine.  However, I have seen a few trees killed by oil dumped in
planting holes or injured by oil from car engine work dripping off a slab
into the root zone.  It seems to be a question of how much oil.  I wonder
what it takes to break oil down in the soil - whether it happens by
chemical or by organic processes, how long that takes, and whether it
disperses and how fast.