Echinacea request

Scott Ranger ranger at america.net
Wed Sep 27 11:57:09 EST 1995

I'm not sure what you mean by "all three species" as Kartesz'
1994 Synonymized Checklist for the United States, Canada and
Greenland (Timber Press) lists nine species:

   E. angustifolia DC
   E. atrorubens Nutt.
 * E. laevigata (C.L. Boynt. & Beadle) Blake
 * E. pallida (Nutt.) Nutt.
 * E. paradoxa (J.B.S. Norton)Britt.
 * E. purpurea (L.) Moench
   E. sanguinea Nutt.
   E. simulata R.L. McGregor
   E. tennesseensis (Beadle) Small

* are species native to the SE US where I live.  Two are listed
with the USFWS as federally endangered (E. laevigata and E.
tennesseensis) and both are listed in their states as well.

Cronquist's Vascular Fora of the Southeastern United States,
Volume I, Asteraceae (University of North Carolina Press, 1980,
unfortunately now out of print) includes taxonomic information
on the * species.

There are a couple of technical manuals on recovery programs
for the two federally listed species that you could get
information from through the USFWS.

"The genus Echinacea is a stricly American genus ...
restricted to the eastern United States.  The name comes from
the Greek echinos, sea-urchin, inspired by the cone-shaped,
bristly receptacles of the flower heads..." From Protected
Plants of Georgia, Patrick, Allison & Krakow, 1995.  Georgia
Natural Heritage Program.

Various plants are in common cultivation, and are often
included in those messy "wildflower meadow in a can" seed mixes
you can buy.  What they are defies guessing.

Hope you find this helpful.