Help! Meaning of "cv"

stephen fitzgerald stephenf at netspace.net.au
Thu Sep 28 04:38:34 EST 1995

>I need to know what is the meaning of the abbreviation "cv" on following
>sentence:
>
>	- Samples of 16 species and cv of pineapples were analysed for
>	bromelain activity.

Cv is indeed Cultivars which is a new fangled word for 'Cultivated
Varieties' These are plants that are selected for different traits such
as leaf colour, fruit size or whatever. In most countries there is a
cultivar register. If the characteristic of the selection is constant
then the plant can be registered and even patented. It is not a
recognised botanical group like 'species'.

Steve