Help! Meaning of "cv"

Alan arkrause at amherst.edu
Thu Sep 28 18:19:08 EST 1995

 stephen fitzgerald <stephenf at netspace.net.au> wrote:

> >I need to know what is the meaning of the abbreviation "cv"
>
> Cv is indeed Cultivars which is a new fangled word for 'Cultivated
Varieties'. In >most countries there is a cultivar register. If the
characteristic of the selection is >constant then the plant can be
registered and even patented. It is not a
> recognised botanical group like 'species'.

I believe it is also true that cultivars cannot be sexually propagated.
Offspring are available by asexual propagation only, i.e. cuttings,
layerings,etc.

--
arkrause at amherst.edu