Help! Meaning of "cv"

Piers Trehane Piers at indhort.demon.co.uk
Fri Sep 29 05:50:18 EST 1995

In article <44dqeq$89l at otis.netspace.net.au>
           stephenf at netspace.net.au "stephen fitzgerald" writes:

> >I need to know what is the meaning of the abbreviation "cv" on following
> >sentence:
> >
> >       - Samples of 16 species and cv of pineapples were analysed for
> >       bromelain activity.
> >

> Cv is indeed Cultivars which is a new fangled word for 'Cultivated
> Varieties' These are plants that are selected for different traits such
> as leaf colour, fruit size or whatever. In most countries there is a
> cultivar register. If the characteristic of the selection is constant
> then the plant can be registered and even patented. It is not a
> recognised botanical group like 'species'.

Good grief Steve, the word "cultivar" is hardly new: it dates back to the
1920 when Liberty Hyde Bailey first coined it and since 1953 (42 years back)
it has been the principle category of plants in the International Code of
Nomenclature for Cultivated Plants (ICNCP).

A cultivar is not a plant: it is an assemblage of plants (rather like a taxon),
all members of which have attributes in common which make it worthwhile to
recognize as a unit.

I would say that a cultivar _is_ a recognized group like a species - especially
as the full cultivar name is the scientific name of the group of plants in
question.

Cultivars are registered through International Regisration Authorities (IRAs)
and, except for cultivars registered under Plants Breeders' Rights (PBR) there
is little national registration as such.

Hope everyone understands this.

Cheers, Piers
 Piers Trehane  -  Editor of "INDEX HORTENSIS"
 Hampreston Manor, Wimborne, Dorset BH21 7LX, UK
 piers at indhort.demon.co.uk