Help! Meaning of "cv"

Jed ifjed at nmsua.nmsu.edu
Sat Sep 30 09:03:05 EST 1995

In article <arkrause-2809951819090001 at 192.0.2.1> arkrause at amherst.edu (Alan) writes:
>From: arkrause at amherst.edu (Alan)
>Subject: Re: Help! Meaning of "cv"
>Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 18:19:08 -0500

> stephen fitzgerald <stephenf at netspace.net.au> wrote:

>> >I need to know what is the meaning of the abbreviation "cv"
>>
>> Cv is indeed Cultivars which is a new fangled word for 'Cultivated
>Varieties'. In >most countries there is a cultivar register. If the
>characteristic of the selection is >constant then the plant can be
>registered and even patented. It is not a
>> recognised botanical group like 'species'.
>>
>I believe it is also true that cultivars cannot be sexually propagated.
>Offspring are available by asexual propagation only, i.e. cuttings,
>layerings,etc.

Not in my experience.  The things that we used that were called cultivars
were sexually-propagated.  Perhaps we or the people supplying us were
misusing the word.

      / \
    í// \\
   */// \\\*
      | |
      | |
      | |
      | |
"Stay in your own cubicle, please."

Some historians attribute this remark to Mark Twain, however, it's
actually from Matt Groenig.