Introduction&VFTResearchQuestion

Roy Phitayakorn phitayr at bent9.alleg.edu
Tue Apr 2 09:12:20 EST 1996

	Hello!  My name is Roy Phitayakorn and I am an undergraduate
student at Allegheny College which is in Meadville, PA...about 100 miles
north of Pittsburgh.  I am a Biology/Pre-Med track major and am working
towards a double minor in Military History & Strategy in the Western World
and Chemistry.  I a native of a suburb south of Pittsburgh called Upper
St. Clair.
	I am interested in doing my senior thesis on the Venus Fly Trap,
but I am not sure on what part of the plant or plant mechanism to focus
on.  This fall, I would like to participate in an independent research
project with VFT's to form some ideas about my thesis.  This research
project will primarily concern recreating different experiments performed
with VFT's.  So far, I have thought of two areas of research:

	-using VFT cell totipotency to grow VFT's from cell culture
	-studying acid growth mechanism that enables VFT trap to close
around hapless victim

	My question to you (plural) involves my need for more experiments
so that this independent project will last longer than a month!
	My own personal research has involved mostly library work.  Most
books I have seen focus only on the care of VFTs.  I've read a history
book on VFTs called Venus' Mousetrap, which was interesting, but not
really helpful.  I've also sent away for several articles from the
Carnivorous Plant Newsletter.  Unfortunately, sending away for articles
has become rather expensive for a college student's budget and often takes
at least a month to receive the articles.
	Any suggestions for experiments or sources of previous experiments
would be most appreciated.  If any of you have friends or colleagues that
work in botany or specifically with VFT please forward this message to
them.

Thanks again for your help and time,

Roy Phitayakorn